The United Cup is the new team tournament to take over from the popular ATP Cup and will feature the best men’s and women’s players competing for their countries.
The United Cup is the first mixed teams tennis event that will feature 18 different countries with each country having its 4 best ATP and 4 best WTA players competing on some of the biggest stages in Australia.
This new and exciting tournament is something you don’t want to miss out on.
Australia (Perth, Brisbane and Sydney)
Perth - RAC Arena Brisbane - Pat Rafter Arena Sydney - Ken Rosewall Arena
Dec 29 - Jan 8
The tournament is co-hosted across three different cities in Australia: Perth, Brisbane and Sydney.
The matches in Perth will be held at the RAC Arena.
The matches in Brisbane will be held at the Pat Rafter Arena.
The matches in Sydney will be held at the Ken Rosewall Arena.
Each venue will feature one stadium court where the matches will be played with the final occurring at the Ken Rosewall Arena in Sydney.
The United Cup will begin on December 29th 2022 and will take place over 11 days and will finish on January 8th 2023.
You can expect to see a lot of the big names competing for their countries in the United Cup with the likes of Rafael Nadal, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Nick Kygrios and Iga Swiatek each playing for their respective countries.
The top teams to look out for this year are Greece, Spain and host team Australia, each with very strong ATP and WTA players.
The draw for the new United Cup has been released and, let me tell you, it does not disappoint.
The way the draw works is there are six groups with each group having three countries. Each city will host two groups and the winner of each group will go through to the Host City Finals with the winner of each Host City Finals advancing to the semi-finals in Sydney. Also, the losing host city finalist with the best record from the three matches will advance to the semi-finals as well.
There are many great matches to look out for but a personal favorite of mine is Rafael Nadal vs. Nick Kygrios in the Spain vs. Australia match-up.
You can see the full draw on United Cup’s twitter thread below:
There is a prize pool of $15,000,000 up for grabs at the United Cup in 2023.
The United Cup is also the first tournament to offer both ATP and WTA points with a player being able to earn a maximum of 500 points.
There are a couple of different ticket packages for the United Cup.
Standard Tickets: These are the regular tickets that give you access to your reserved seats.
VIP Tickets: The VIP tickets come with a restaurant dining experience where you get access to an exclusively designed menu that is inclusive of drinks. You also get access to the Premium Bar as well as premium seating so you don’t miss any of the action.
Tickets range anywhere from $30 – $80 for your standard tickets. This is all depending on what matches you want to see.
If you’re looking to buy VIP tickets, these cost between $300 – $485.
Tickets for Perth can be found here.
Tickets for Brisbane and Sydney can be found here.
There are many great places available in Perth, Brisbane and Sydney to stay in that will give you easy access to the venues. Many of these hotels are even within walking distance from the arenas.
- Pensione Hotel Perth: a lovely 3-star hotel within walking distance from the RAC Arena.
- Nightcap at Belgian Beer Cafe: a great budget-friendly hotel surrounded by popular bars and a 5-minute walk from RAC Arena.
- Nightcap at Chardons Corner Hotel: a lovely, peaceful 3-star hotel close to the venue.
- River Plaza Apartments: a spacious apartment within the city.
- Ibis Sydney Olympic Park: a 3-star hotel within the Sydney Olympic Park where the United Cup is played.
- Markets Hotel: a lovely 3-star hotel with a nice restaurant and within walking distance from Ken Rosewall Arena.
- Parmelia Hilton Perth: a stunning 5-star hotel with a great restaurant and bar that overlooks the river.
- Art Series – The Adnate: an excellent 5-star hotel with beautiful facilities and walking distance from RAC Arena.
- Stamford Plaza Brisbane: a luxury 5-star hotel with incredible facilities and an amazing view.
- W Brisbane: 5-star hotel with great views over the river and an awesome bar.
- Pullman Sydney Olympic Park: a 5-star hotel with a great bar and restaurant and is within Sydney Olympic Park.
- Quest at Sydney Olympic Park: a nice 4-star hotel also within Sydney Olympic Park.
The United Cup starts at the end of December and finishes at the beginning of January.
This is right in the middle of summer in Australia so you can expect pleasant to hot temperatures during this time.
You can expect to see average high temperatures of around 25°C and it’s not uncommon to experience heatwaves during this time of year that can hit temperatures of more than 37°C.
One thing is for sure though, don’t expect to see much rain.
For Australian viewers, Nine will be the channel to broadcast the United Cup. However specific broadcast details are yet to be announced.
For viewers outside of Australia, the broadcasting channels haven’t been announced yet.
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons